In 2014 Rubicon Heritage were commissioned by Cork County Council to undertake an audit of heritage assets owned by the County Council. The audit was intended to assess a wide variety of these properties by providing an overall background/description of the selected sites and identifying the main heritage characteristics and status/functionality of each. We have compiled a series of blogs based on the information gathered during the audit to highlight a number of the selected sites and the amazing archaeology in County Cork. Our next site in this series is Rosslague Martello Tower.
Rosslague Martello tower is located on the north shoreline of Great Island on a highpoint of Rosslague promontory. Constructed in 1813, it is part of the second wave of tower building that took place between 1810 and 1815 (the initial Irish towers having been built between 1804
and 1806) and which ultimately saw c.50 towers constructed around the country.
Located at Glanworth, Co. Cork, 6km northwest of Fermoy and 10km south-southwest of Mitchelstown, Glaworth Bridge crosses the River Funshion on the eastern outskirts of the town, 150m from the Main St and in the shadow of Glanworth Castle. It lies between the R639 at Monadrishane and the R512 at Glanworth. The bridge is a Hump-backed road bridge measuring c. 3.75m in width, constructed in random-rubble limestone with piers built on rock outcrops in river's bed. It comprises thirteen semi-circular arches, generally increasing in width and size towards the centre. The structure has rough limestone voussoirs and low pointed cutwaters on the upstream side only.
In the Vale of Tralee
This section will not be visible in live published website. Below are your current settings: